Saturday, December 29, 2007

Death & Despair To Warm The Cockles Of My Heart

Are cigars bad for you? If so, I may be in trouble. I've been smoking them like crazy for the last 36 hours or so. At the risk of sounding conceited, I've been congratulating myself for what's been happening in Pakistan the past couple of days. Granted, I may not have personally masterminded the operation, but I like to think I provided the inspiration for it.

Rioting all over country, mobs blaming Musharraf for Benazir Bhutto's death, the death of democracy in Pakistan, and 23 killed in all the pandemonium. What more can someone like me ask for? It's like a Christmas miracle!!!

What I find particularly amusing is all the public wailing that's taking place. If such a traumatic event were to take place in a western country, you wouldn't see all these public displays of despair. I mean, grown men, sobbing and wailing!?!? That's just embarrassing.

But I also have a theory as to why it happens: In western cultures, when such a thing happens, people immediately run inside and sit in front of the TV in an effort to find out what's going on. Everyone's confined to small groups of family members, office mates, or whatever.

But in third world countries--and I would have to place Pakistan in this category--very few people have TV's. Hell, few people even have electricity, for crying out loud! So instead of staying indoors in small groups, everyone flocks to the streets and soon a mass hysteria of sorts spreads through the crowds.

Anyway, that's my take on it. Take it or leave it.... Though if you value your life, I would recommend that you agree with me.